Friday, December 30, 2005

Books and stuff

I finished the Moore "Serenity Falls" books. I still recommend them, but have to say that they suffered the fate a lot of horror books do, in that they fell apart at the end. I just didn't get it, ultimately.
This could just be me. I like to have everything very clearly spelled out in my horror. Other book I'm A-OK for subtlety (with the very obvious and fervent exception of sex scenes in romances, of course! We need those to be as explicit as possible!), but horrors I want the full Who What Where When and, most especially, Why. I want every detail. Don't bring up intriguingly scary little things and then don't fully explain them later! Don't assume I know why that woman killed her husband. I want the full denoument. I want the bad guy to start Monologuing.

This is one reason (among many) that I find The Changeling to be one of the scariest movies ever. Not only is it just plain freaking terrifying, but at the end you know exactly what happened and why. The full horror of it is permitted to sink all the way in, leaving you nervously looking over your shoulder at every house creak.

Any thoughts? What books disappointed you with a fudgy ending or just a non-ending? Like The Crimson Petal and the White, another book I loved until the end just fell apart on me? Like John Carpenter films and his damned ambiguous endings (The Thing, while a fantastic movie that I love, is guilty of this)?

Share!
If anyone actually reads this...

No comments: