Friday, February 09, 2007

A Quick Note Re: Macho

Hey, I've said this in comments a few times now but it seems important enough that I want to mention it here too do nobody misses it:

I'm certainly not saying, in any way, that "macho" is the only type of man I like. I'm not implying only alphas will do for me, or that brawn is some important than brains, or anything of the sort.

I like clever, witty men. I like geeks with glasses who read comics. I like rich businessmen in crisp business shirts and shiny shoes. Just as much as I like men in scuffed boots with grease under their nails from handling engine parts. I like tall, skinny punk guys. I like shorter, slightly husky guys.

I just plain like men, and these posts are just me examining an archetype that seems to have disappeared. I think it's sad there's one less type of man out there, is all, or that a man once so popular has lost his place.

Okay?

7 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

HEY!

I want to say I love a post so many people are so compelled to discuss and come out of the woodwork to weigh in on.

You've got a hot topic here. DISCUSSION=GOOD.

I don't get the impression anybody thinks you're saying YOU'RE especially attracted to macho men. I never got that impression. I think you're exploring the archetype, or modern women's reaction to the archetype. I think it's been great hearing so many different perspectives. I'm a little surprised to glimpse what's going on in other people's heads.

Good going, December; you've stumbled on something that was obviously begging for discussion. Who knew?

Stacia said...

Thanks, lbl. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear!

Bernita said...

Knew that.
I just plain like men too.

Anonymous said...

mmmm....men....

Sam said...

I like men - just not macho men.
Maybe I'm just too headstrong, you know, like in the Taming of the Shrew. I guess I would have been the shrew, lol. All the macho men I've known have clashed badly with me, and usually they ended up scarred for life, poor darlings...

LOL

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of people who insist they don't like macho men are going by the skewed, exaggerated archetype presented these days. Dog, Bounty Hunter is just the most revolting example. A macho man isn't a strident dickhead with an anger management problem who has to have everything his own way. Macho is about quiet strength, respect and protectiveness towards women (or towards anyone physically weaker than they are).

My dad grew up during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. He was a rock. He never raised his voice--a rock doesn't need to yell. But when a psychotic, gun-nut neighbor (who later ended up serving ten years for assault) showed up at our door one day and threatened my mom, my dad definitely made that man take a step back.

Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven. Quiet, loyal, respectful of women, faithful to the woman he loves, even after death, gruff, but sensitive and caring. And, when pushed, ready to push back, to protect what needs protecting, not just what's his. That's macho.

Stacia said...

Yes indeed, ladies! MMmmmmmmen!


Remind me not to make you angry, Sam!


As usual, kis, we are in perfect agreement. Your Dad sounds amazing.