Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Some exciting things!

Oooh! I'm so excited about some stuff, and you get to hear all about it, isn't that great?

1. I have a tentative release dats for The Demon Inside, the sequel to Personal Demons! Paula and I have edited the first three chapters to excerpt in the back of Personal Demons (not sure if the entire first three will be excerpted or just the first one, but I suspect all three) and we're looking at a January 2009 release! It's not set in stone, but I don't think it will be released any later than that, so that's good. I'm just hoping that the time-setting of the book--one week before Christmas--doesn't turn people off right after the holidays. :-)

2. This is very exciting! We're focusing on spec-fic written by African-American authors this month over at the League of Reluctant Adults, and have some great guest bloggers and interviews lined up. Tomorrow be sure to check the blog for Carole McDonnell, author of Wind Follower. Wind Follower is a Carl Brandon Society Recommendation, and if you are interested in speculative fiction and don't know who the Carl Brandon Society are, you should check them out.

We will also be doing an interview with--and I am so excited about this--Tananarive Due, a multi-published, award winning author who, if she wasn't impressive enough already, has also shown her great taste and style by being a fervent Dolfan. Tananarive's book My Soul to Keep is also a Carl Brandon recommendation. (She also contributed to the awesomely funny Naked Came the Manatee, which I think is required reading if you live in South Florida. Really. It's on a list somewhere, I swear, along with Edna Buchanan's Never Let Them See You Cry.

And, last but certainly not least, Seressia Glass will be blogging for us! Seressia is a multi-published author of African-American paranormal and interracial romance, and a really, really cool chick to boot. I can't wait to see what she has to say!

In addition, we have some great Book Club stuff planned with the fantastic Mark del Franco, and guest blogs by Jim Hines and John Levitt!

So please, everyone, make sure you're stopping by the League and making all of our guests feel welcome. In fact, maybe I'll give out some prizes or something to the person who makes the best comment. Maybe. :-)

(And if any of you ever know of any authors--AA, Hispanic, Asian, anything--who aren't getting the exposure they deserve, please let me know. We're always looking for interviewees and guests.)


I guess that's about it. The hubs and I watched Zodiac over the weekend, and it was FANTASTIC. I'm stunned it didn't get any Oscar nods. What an amazing, gripping film.

I have some background with the Zodiac Killer anyway, odd as it sounds. See, my ex-boyfriend was really into true crime (well, we both were. I like true crime, especially Ann Rule. Anyway.) He got a copy of Robert Graysmith's book Zodiac, and became semi-obsessed. Not in a "This guy is cool" way; he was pretty freaked out, actually. Because the Zodiac was never caught. Anyway, in a couple of the letters the Zodiac sent to the papers, he suggested people have buttons made for him and he wouldn't kill anyone wearing a Zodiac button. So, um, yeah. We all wore Zodiac buttons for a while. And there was a creepy picture of the Zodiac, a police artist's sketch, that hung on the back of our bedroom door. So I slept every night with the Zodiac Killer pointing a gun at me. I am not joking. (And no, the ex was not a freak, he was a nice, normal guy and still is.)

So certain bits of the movie were almost amusing to me, as I'd worn the buttons and seen the sketch. But seriously, this is not an amusing movie. There are a couple of edge-of-your-seat scary moments. It's a very dark film. A quiet film, with outstanding performances. Seriously, the lack of Oscar noms is inconceivable to me, especially for Gyllenhaal and Ruffalo. But anyway. Definitely worth a watch.

12 comments:

Bernita said...

There was a NY zodiac killer as well, was there not?

writtenwyrdd said...

I was a tweener when the Zodiac crimes were on, living in San Jose (about 50 miles south of SF.) The whole coverage of the murders was totally surreal to me; but I do remember that hollow-eyed look of fear on people that were interviewed. Zodiac didn't come to my rural theater so I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to do so.

Sam said...

congrats on the pub date!!! That is exciting!!
And the blog sounds busy! Yay!

Anonymous said...

The Oscar is all political anyway -pretty much meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

I've never watched Zodiac, guess I'll have to now. -V95

Robyn said...

Congrats on the release!

I remember the Zodiac. Thanks for the review. But the Oscars? Pfft. Haven't trusted them for years.

Anna J. Evans said...

Ooooo, scary, don't like true crime!! I like pretend crime, it doesn't make me freak as much.

I'll have to get this movie though, i love the Gylenhalls (sp?) yeah I know you spelled it, I'm too lazy to go look.

hugs,

Anna

BernardL said...

The most horrific true crime book I ever read was Vincent Bugliosi's 'Helter Skelter' documenting the Manson murders, and how Bugliosi gained convictions of all involved.

Stacia said...

See, Bernita, I thought there was too, but I've not seen anything about it. But if you think so...I'll have to Google it.


Oh, I can imagine, Written. (And yes, you should give the film a go. We really liked it.) I'll never forget having a discussion with my Mom about the Atlanta child killer when that was happening. And my husband was born in Florida, and used to shop at the Sears where Adam Walsh was kidnapped all the time--his Mom had left him in that very toy section like, the day before it happened.


Thanks, Sam! I am quite excited, yeah. :-) And yes, busy busy busy, urgh. How did I end up coordinating all of this, when I'm so lazy?


Very true, V95. I don't put a lot of stock in them either but I do usually enjoy watching them. It's less fun now that everybody has a stylist.
And yeah, see the movie. I'd like to know what you think.


Thanks Robyn! (Did you see I finally got around to updating my links?) Like I said, I still like to watch them though. :-)


Lol Anna. I don't enjoy true crime as much as I used to, but I do still like it. And yeah, see the movie, but email me before you watch it and I'll tell you when to cover your eyes.


See, Bernard, that same ex said the same thing, but I just never got into that one. I meant to, but never did. My favorite is Ann Rule's "Small Sacrifices". The detective work was great, the case was chilling...it was excellent.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've wanted to see the movie Zodiac but haven't had a chance yet. Congrats on all the good things going on for you.

Gabriele Campbell said...

I probably should google Zodiac killer now but I admit I'm too lazy. :)

Stacia said...

Thanks, Charles! You should give it a go if it interests you at all. I'm glad I grabbed it at the store (on sale!)

Lol, Gabriele. The Zodiac killed, um,5 people and shot two other in nothern California from 1969-1971 (this is from memory, so I could be a little off.) The big thing about him was he wrote a bunch of coded letters to the newspapers, and his killings were pretty random.

Gabriele Campbell said...

That explains why I've never heard about him. We didn't have a TV in 1971 yet.