Friday, November 23, 2007

Just a short one

and very late. Both girls were in school this morning, and the hubs is off work for a few days, so we headed off into a nearby town to do a little shopping. Of course we bought nothing but it was nice to be out on our own anyway.

Had an okay Thanksgiving. Being sick didn't help. But we had turkey and all the trimmings, I made pumpkin pie, and we watched our Thanskgiving movies.

First was Planes, Trains and Automobiles, after which we had a long discussion of the genius that was John Candy, with analysis of our favorite Candy films.

And then...L.A. Confidential, which is one of the greatest films ever made. There is no limit to how much I adore this movie. Every performance in it is perfect. The plot is amazing. The look of it, the dialogue, everything. And freaking Titanic beat it for Best Picture. I'd love to know if that movie still holds up as well as this one. I bet it doesn't.

And now we're watching Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What are your Thanksgiving movies? Which John Candy film is your favorite?

9 comments:

BernardL said...

Uncle Buck, and LA Confidential is a classic. Titanic... the ship sinks. :)

Scary Monster said...

If were just talkin John Candy here, Me gonna go for Brewsters Millions. Me knows it were a piece of crap, but there were something about watchin Pryor and Candy workin the funny bone together.

STOMP.

Post Stomp. Me would rate Titanic as one of the worst movies ever made.

Scary Monster said...

'scuse the lack of an apostrophe.

SLIPPED.

Stacia said...

That's so funny, Robyn, because the hubs and I were mentioning how underrated Uncle Buck is, and how good--but it's always been my theory that UB is the favorite JC film of all men. Men love Uncle Buck.

Personally, I love Only the Lonely, where he gets to be a romantic lead. It's not necessarily my favorite of his films, but it's up there.


See, Bernard?! Uncle Buck! And yes, LA Confidential is just...amazing.


Hmm, SM. Yes, Brewster's Millions did stink, but you're right, Pryor and Candy together was quite a combo.


Surprised nobody's mentioned JFK...

Camille Alexa said...

Why ARE Canadians so damn hilarious?

On John Candy, I'm going to have to say Splash, just for sentimental reasons, though I admit I know him best from SCTV.

pacatrue said...

I also think splash is the only movie I've seen all the way through with Candy in it.

Now yo hate me. I keep planning on watching planes, trains and automobiles one day.

pacatrue said...

But just to be contrarian I liked Titanic very much when it came out. I maybe saw it 3 or 4 times.

But I haven't seen it in a decade. Has it been a decade yet?

Charles Gramlich said...

Thanksgiving means football for me. No movies here.

writtenwyrdd said...

titanic stinks, but so does LA Confidential. Sorry. And I loathe John Candy. Give me scifi movies like Raider of the Lost Arc, Star Wars, etc. though.

Thanksgiving means cooking for about ten and hanging out with friends and alcoholic beverages. No television for me.